If your loved one is in a nursing home, hospital, or assisted living facility, you are often that person’s only advocate. You must pay attention to their health and general wellbeing and watch out for signs of elder abuse and neglect.
If you see the following signs of neglect or abuse, report the incidents by calling the Eldercare Locator at 1-800-677-1116. If someone is in immediate danger, call 911 or the local police for immediate help.
- Pressure marks, broken bones, abrasions, and burns, bed sores or scabs
- Unusual weight loss, malnutrition, dehydration
- Sudden hair or tooth loss
- Unexplained withdrawal from normal activities,
- A sudden change in alertness
- Unusual depression
Hygiene and sanitation issues:
- Soiled bedding and clothes
- Being left dirty or unbathed
- Over medicating or under medicating
- Report of drug overdose or apparent failure to take medication regularly
- A prescription has more remaining than it should
- Lack of medical aids such as glasses, walker, dentures, hearing aid, or medications
- Medical professionals getting kickbacks for prescribing certain drugs
- Unsuitable clothing or covering
- Odd explanations for injuries
Call The Law Store today to discuss your loved one’s rights. Visit us online at www.thelawstore.com or drop in to meet with a lawyer to discuss your options during a FREE First Advice appointment at our locations inside the Neosho and 7th Street Walmart.
Also, The Law Store is coming soon to Walmart on Campbell Ave in Springfield, Missouri.